Friday, March 4, 2011

Virginity, maple syrup and chickens

No, this is not a blog about Charlie Sheen’s dream date.
Charlie Sheen

I knew if I put the word "virginity" in the title, I would have your attention.  So what the heck is "victus aequitas" and what does it have to do with virginity?  For the scholars in the audience, "victus aequitas" means, literally, “food justice.” You know how lawyers love to toss around fancy latin words in an attempt to sound smart!

So what does food justice have to do with virginity?  Before I explain, let me ask you a few questions.  Are you a parent who is trying to do the right thing and purchase healthy foods for yourself and your family?  Are you someone who is frustrated with the lack of corporate accountability in this world?  Perhaps you are just bored and came across a strangely-titled blog?  More likely, you are a friend, family member or colleague to whom I forwarded this blog and you are being very charitable by taking the time to read it.  Thank you.

Now I'll share a little bit about me.  Some of you know me as Isabel's mom, a title I've proudly worn for eight and one half years.  Many of you know me as the strawberry guy's wife.  Yes, here is a shout out to my amazing farmer husband who has turned us all into strawberry snobs. 

 And others might know me as a class action attorney who has been defending the rights of consumers for the past fifteen years.  Still others may recall that I might have had something to do with that legal dispute between the two founders of a small social networking site. 


This blog represents an attempt to combine my three passions in life: motherhood, food, and the law.  As the mother of a young daughter, I want to do everything I can to provide her with a healthy diet.  As the wife of an organic farmer, I want to support the farmers who are dedicating their lives to growing sustainable, organic products in this very tough economy.  As a lawyer, I want to see laws upheld and corporations held accountable for their conduct.  However, it has become crystal clear to me that many food manufacturers are engaged in deceptive advertising campaigns in an effort to take advantage of people who are trying to purchase healthy products.  Have you purchased products labeled as "organic", and wonder if they truly are?  How about "100% natural?"  Is it really?  As a mother, I am furious. As an attorney, I want to take action.

Here are just a few examples of companies who might be engaging in misleading advertising campaigns to convince you to buy their "healthy" products:

Is that organic milk you just bought really organic?  Maybe not.
http://www.grist.org/article/2011-02-25-dairy-giant-dean-foods-doesnt-really-get-organic

Does the water in my bottled water really come from a virgin (there is that word again) spring somewhere in South America?  Hmmm.
http://www.ewg.org/reports/BottledWater/Bottled-Water-Quality-Investigation

antibioticWhat is really in this chicken I am eating?  Antibiotics?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24956860/





Does 100% pure Vermont maple syrup have high fructose corn syrup in it? 
http://www.organicauthority.com/blog/organic/organic-food/organic-maple-syrup-basics/

Is the virginity of your olive oil in doubt?  Extra-virgin or some substandard olive oil?
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/money_co/2010/07/olive-oil-study-not-extra-virgin-mislabel-questions-standards.htmlstandards.html

See, I told you I would explain the relevance of virginity and food justice!

My goals in writing this blog are twofold.  My primary goal is education.  Don't automatically believe what is advertised on products.  Think about it.  Read labels.  Investigate.  Buy local.

Second, I want to hold these companies accountable.  They cannot continue taking your hard-earned money by deceptively advertising their products as something they are not.  This is where you can help.  Let me know if you are concerned that products you purchased may not be what they claim to be.  I  want to hear from you!  I am actively investigating several different areas and will continue to update this blog and seek your input.

Go forth and eat well!

3 comments:

  1. Mike and I are always talking about eating fresh and local, so we love this blog. We are also fanatical about reading labels and often do question the labels and the claims of a food product being truly 'organic.' Especially when it comes to feeding Mikey.

    Finally a blog worth reading. Brava! Keep it coming.

    ...Those two social networking founders, hummm, I wonder who that they could be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you for raising awareness of this issue, Jill. I've been involved from the perspective of environmental toxins for a long time. You're right that the phthalates that can leach from plastic water bottles while they sit on a shipping pallet in the sun and the bisphenyl A (BPA) that can leach from the linings of our canned foods are endocrine disruptors and can be hazardous to health--especially of fetuses, infants, and adolescents. These are the 3 most vulnerable windows of opportunity, but they're not good for all of us, either. These chemicals mimic estrogen in our bodies. They, like herbicides/pesticides are suspect in a variety of adverse side effects--reproductive birth defects, infertility, autism,..The list goes on. http://coe.ucsf.edu/coe/spotlight/envhltwm_index.html Awareness is the first step toward prevention. And prevention is a lot more effective than dealing with illness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Jill. I am new to blogging and you just helped me over my first hurdle. This looks like a good place to discuss food systems and how we all use them...I am thankful to have you in the meaningful conversation about organic foods in Marin County and the Shoreline Unified School District. Thanks for this. Madeline

    ReplyDelete